Friday, September 11, 2009

Make Cupcakes Not War

Today is September 11th, and all they're showing on tv is footage from the day.
It's just as upsetting to watch it now as it was that day. It's one of the three times I've ever looked at the tv with my hands cupping my mouth-just in shock. The only other times I've done that were when I saw 'The Pianist' scene with the man in the wheelchair, and when we saw New Orleans just devastated by Hurricane Katrina/Ike(My family hails from there, so it was very close to our hearts).
-My sis and I were talking earlier about where we were when we heard about the crashes.- Here's MY Experience-
When I heard that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center, I was sitting in a Senior level English class and the principal said it over the intercom. We thought it was a joke-including my teacher. But- She got onto the computer, and they had videos playing of it-And then we saw the second one hit live-It was shocking and I was worried for all of the families who would wait in vain for their loved ones to come home. I remember seeing on the live news shows- people jumping from the floors above the fires because there was no way out-I remember seeing two people holding hands as they fell -That was almost worse than the seeing the towers crumble.
There are tragedies happening all over the world every day, and I know this one moment in the relatively easy lives of most Americans is probably insignificant when you think of things that others go through. 9/11 was difficult for the every day American like me because we are-by the luck of the draw-living in a country that does not experience this kind of thing often-and that almost makes me a little ashamed-that we don't have to worry about being hurt and can focus on less important things while others live in fear. BUT- The more I think on it, the less life makes sense. The people who have been through the worst things in the world are not the ones who have an outlet to help them deal-like I have this computer.
It seems that there a few people in all countries who do malicious things and build walls between us. We would do good as people sharing the Earth to know that it's not the every day person who is wanting to hurt you-it's not the soldiers, or different races and religions that are wanting to hurt you--It's small groups of people who are bombarding their minds with hate, greed, or power.
It's become a tradition in New York for 2 days to shine these 2 beautiful beams of light to honor those who died on September 11. The "Tribute in Light" is made up of 88 lights and takes a full month to install my friend told me. It was created in 2002 by artists Julian LaVerdiere and Paul Myoda, architects John Bennett and Gustavo Bonevardi of PROUN Space Studio, architect Richard Nash Gould, and lighting designer Paul Marantz and produced by the Municipal Art Society and Creative Time. The lights go on at sunset and then will fade away at dawn on September 12. Click HERE to see a 360 degree view of the lights!

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE TOWERS FELL? And/Or Was there a tragedy that touched you-your family-your country-or your heart?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post!
Here in the Netherlands we have 4 en 5 Mei. The 4th of May we remember those who died during world war 2 and after. On the 5th of May we celebrate our freedoms, all over the place their are free music festivals etc.
My Grandfather survived WW2 but such horibble events leave big scars on peoples souls. So we remember so we will never forget.
-M

Charlie Rice said...

I was there. Being an ironworker, I was there for the clean-up.

Tana said...

I love your cup cakes =) It's my b-day so I will eat something of the confectionary family. On the 9/11 I was at home praying hard for the families and people trapped in the buildings. So sad.

The Fancy Lady said...

i was at school and they wouldnt put on any of the tvs and some kid was running down the halls screaming the white has was blown up obviously a lie then thats when people started getting called down to the office which nobody wanted to hear there name i live in nj so alot of peoples parents commute everyday to nyc so till we got home it was just utter chaos for the rest of the day till we finally found out what had happened

Mariah Irvin said...

I was in fifth grade. We knew something was wrong, but our teachers wouldn't tell us what. We got out of school early because the school said they were spraying for West Nile Virus, but when I got home and found out the truth, it was devastating. So much for a little fifth grader to take in at once.

Jessica Nelson said...

At my first, "real" job. I didn't know what the twin towers were, but I was still stunned. It took a while for it to hit me.
Beautiful cupcakes and beautiful post. I hope we never forget where hatred leads.

Ali said...

I was in class (in NY). I'll never forget the look on our teacher's face when she found out (her daughter worked around the towers and thankfully, she was okay). I'll never forget any of it.

Gabbi said...

Commend you for this post dear Penny... such a depressing thing to think about much less write about. I was at home getting ready for work, and when I heard it on the news I didn't believe either. It seemed unreal, something horrible and tragic that happens in film not in real life.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. I was getting ready to go to my class when I saw it on the news. What a tragic day. Love the cupcakes!

Anonymous said...

Lovely tribute, Penny. I like your soundtrack, too.

Debra Lynn Shelton said...

AWESOME cupcakes. I was at work and watched the towers fall on a crappy TV w/really bad reception. I fell to the floor and cried.

Head over to my place. I've left you something.;-)

Organic Meatbag said...

Ironically, I am sitting one floor below where I was sitting that day at my office building... 8 year and I've moved about 10 feet south... about 30 more feet and i'll be in hell...hahahaha!